Rehabilitation services in South Denver
The Sports Medicine/Rehabilitation Center at Sky Ridge Medical Center provides specialized one-on-one attention and personal care to our patients, both adults and children. We believe in a wellness approach to patient care in which our therapists' role is to help patients help themselves with their recovery.
Our physical therapy services
Our trained therapists provide the following services and therapies at our Sports Medicine/Rehabilitation Center. Our focus is on improving conditions and helping get patients back to everyday activities as quickly as possible.
To learn more about our physical therapy services, call (720) 225-1030.
- Sports medicine and pre- and post-operative joint replacement rehabilitation and education
- Pre- and post-operative spine rehabilitation and education
- Lymphedema program
- Cancer exercise program
- Therapeutic exercise and modalities
- Manual therapy
- Education in injury prevention
- Dry needling
- Neurological rehabilitation for stroke, traumatic brain injury, concussion and more
- Vestibular rehabilitation
Our team of speech pathologists provide education, treatment and counseling to help patients function at their highest level.
- Get LOUD — Parkinson's voice therapy
- Head and neck cancer rehabilitation
- Modified barium swallow studies
- Feeding and swallowing disorders
- Swallow therapy with Vital Stim™
- Voice therapy
- Speech and language problems associated with stroke
- Deficits associated with traumatic brain injury or concussion
How are speech and language impairments diagnosed?
Through a complete diagnostic evaluation of the speech mechanism, language expression, comprehension and cognitive skills.
What is the role of a speech-language pathologist in stroke rehabilitation?
Speech pathologists diagnose and treat dysphagia (swallowing disorders), dysarthria (speech disturbance) and aphasia (language disorder), which commonly occur prior to both left and/or right hemisphere strokes.
What disorders or conditions can cause speech language and swallow impairments?
Stroke, Parkinson’s disease, ALS, MS, some head injuries, brain cancer, head and neck cancer, voice disorders and aspiration pneumonia, to name just a few.
Our team of occupational therapists provide the following services that enable patients to live life to its fullest:
- Pre- and post-surgical hand and upper extremity rehabilitation
- Activities of daily living training
- Work conditioning
- Functional deficit care related to stroke
- Traumatic brain injury and concussion therapy
- Vision therapy
As part of our comprehensive cancer care philosophy, our cancer exercise program provides a unique opportunity for patients to participate in an individualized exercise program. The goal is to improve your quality of life by reducing fatigue and boosting your immune system during and after cancer treatment.
A therapist will work with you to develop an individualized program to fit your needs. This program does require your physician's approval, and is usually covered by insurance benefits. Speech therapy also has a role in the treatment of head and neck cancer patients, providing speech or swallowing exercises and education to address deficits.
At Sky Ridge, our lymphedema program includes preventive services for post-surgical and post-radiology patients who are at high risk of developing lymphedema. Other services of our program include:
- Exercise and self-care instruction
- Manual lymph drainage techniques
- Manual therapy techniques for scar tissue
- Bandaging and appropriate garment selection
- Patient education
What is lymphedema?
Lymphedema is chronic swelling in the arm, leg, the chest or back due to accumulation of protein rich fluid. This is the result of an obstruction of the venous or lymphatic systems. Left untreated, lymphedema can lead to limited mobility, decreased strength, decreased range of motion and lowered self-esteem as a result of deformity.
Other medical conditions treated by physical therapy
Our physical therapists help patients regain their strength after major surgeries, injuries and accidents, but may also assist with other chronic medical problems through an appropriate form of exercise and movement. Other medical conditions helped through physical therapy include:
- Chronic headaches
- Incontinence (inability to control your bladder)
- Dizziness or vertigo
The Sports Medicine/Rehabilitation Center at Sky Ridge Medical Center is conveniently located on the east side of the hospital's campus. We have our own private entrance and parking — services are provided from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday.
We accept most insurance plans, including Medicare and Medicaid.