Advanced care for pancreatic cancer in south Denver
At Sky Ridge Medical Center, our pancreatic cancer specialists use the latest technology in diagnostics and treatment to create your personalized care plan. You can depend on our team to provide the compassionate and comprehensive cancer care you deserve—right here in Lone Tree, Colorado.
What causes pancreatic cancer?
Pancreatic cancer occurs when the DNA in the cells of your pancreas change and make the cells behave abnormally. This abnormal behavior usually makes the cells in your pancreas grow uncontrollably, resulting in a tumor.
It’s not exactly clear what causes pancreatic cancer. However, there are some risk factors that may increase your risk of developing pancreatic cancer. These may include:
- Chronic pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas)
- Certain genetic mutations
- Family history of pancreatic cancer
- Older age
Maintaining a healthy weight and living a healthy lifestyle may help prevent or reduce your risk of developing pancreatic cancer.
What are the symptoms of pancreatic cancer?
Unfortunately, there are no early warning signs of pancreatic cancer. Most symptoms do not occur until the disease is at an advanced stage. Some symptoms can include:
- Unusual abdominal pain
- Loss of appetite or unusual weight loss
- Yellowing of your skin or eyes (jaundice)
- Light-colored stools
- Dark-colored urine
- Itchy skin
It is important that you talk with your healthcare provider about any of these symptoms that are new or do not go away.
Our pancreas specialists
Sky Ridge’s Center for Diseases of the Liver & Pancreas offers expert physicians who collaborate to create surgical and nonsurgical pancreatic cancer treatment strategies. Meet our team of surgeons who specialize in pancreatic cancer.
At the Center for Diseases of the Liver & Pancreas, our specialists come from many different areas of expertise to provide a broad spectrum of care. Your pancreatic cancer care team may include physicians from:
- Gastroenterology/hepatology: Board-certified gastroenterologists offer advanced endoscopic techniques.
- Interventional radiology: Interventional radiologists use minimally invasive, image-guided techniques to treat tumors or obstructions.
- Surgery: General surgeons are fellowship trained in advanced pancreatic surgical techniques and specialize in the removal of pancreatic tumors.
- Medical oncology and radiation oncology: Medical oncologists create specialized chemotherapy treatment plans, including clinical trials.. Radiation oncologists deliver external and internal beam radiation therapy to our inpatients and outpatients.
A cancer diagnosis can be emotionally overwhelming and often leaves patients and families feeling concerned and confused. Our oncology nurse navigators are an important member of your care team. They serve as the first point of contact when a patient is newly diagnosed with cancer. They then follow the patient throughout the treatment journey to ensure each patient has the educational resources, support and services they need to receive high-quality care in a timely manner. This specially trained staff will keep you and your family informed about procedures and treatment plans, help expedite follow-up appointments and work with you to help make an informed decision about your care plan.
About Sarah Cannon Cancer Institute
Sky Ridge Medical Center is part of Sarah Cannon, the Cancer Institute of HCA Healthcare. Our family of hospitals provides comprehensive cancer services with convenient access to cutting-edge therapies for people facing cancer in our communities. From diagnosis, to treatment and survivorship care, our oncology expertise ensures you have access to locally-trusted care with the support of a globally-recognized network.
Have cancer questions? We can help. askSARAH is a dedicated helpline for your cancer-related questions. Our specially-trained nurses are available 24/7 and all calls are confidential. Contact askSARAH at (303) 253-3225 or chat online at askSARAHnow.com.