The Birth Place at Sky Ridge Medical Center
One of the first decisions you will make for your baby is selecting the best hospital for you and your family.
Take a virtual tour of our Birth Place
Our family-friendly Birth Place delivers more babies than any other hospital in south metro Denver. That’s just one reason Sky Ridge was selected as Colorado Parent’s top Hospital Birthing Place.
We are committed to providing the safest and highest quality care to our patients and continuously monitor and measure the care our patients receive. We then evaluate our performance against our own rigorous standards, as well as industry benchmarks.
Our Birth Place also offers:
- Board-certified OB/GYNs, anesthesiologists and certified nurse anesthetists in house 24/7
- High patient satisfaction ratings and top-notch quality and security standards.
- A wide spectrum of birth-plan options, with birth balls, rocking chairs and squat bars available
- A low primary C-Section rate of 17 percent compared to the state average of 25.9 percent
- A separate women's hospital entrance so you can go directly to labor and delivery
- Help with breastfeeding by certified lactation consultants and a free breastfeeding success group
- Private, spacious recovery rooms with flat-screen TV, wireless Internet and room for your partner to spend the night in our Mom Baby unit
- Access to a well-care nursery as well as high-acuity, Level III NICU that can care for infants as young as 24 weeks and our 24/7 pediatric ER
- Experienced perinatologists and compassionate antepartum care for high-risk pregnancies
- Maternity tours and access to pregnancy and childbirth classes
- Gifts and packages to pamper and celebrate mom and baby from The Serenity Shoppe located on campus or online
Maternity care services at the Birth Place
From pregnancy and prenatal care to labor and delivery and postpartum support, we are dedicated to making sure every step of your pregnancy is a happy and healthy one. We are honored to be part of this special day with you.
Labor and delivery care at Sky Ridge
Located on the second floor of Sky Ridge Medical Center, the Labor and Delivery Unit is warm, welcoming and beautifully designed to meet your needs. We often hear patients say they forgot they were in a hospital because the surroundings are more like a hotel than a hospital. Sky Ridge was designed to be comfortable, while promoting health and healing.
We make it a priority to care for the entire family. For women giving birth at our hospital, the family is allowed to be in attendance during all of the childbirth process. A beautifully decorated waiting area with a TV, restroom, play area and vending machine is located nearby for additional visitors.
Once labor begins, mothers stay in the same room for the birth of their baby and through the first hours of the recovery stage. Moms delivering by Cesarean section will be cared for in our state-of-the-art surgical suites for childbirth, also located in our Women's Center. Following childbirth, mom and her baby are moved to a private Mom Baby room for continued postpartum care and bonding until their hospital stay ends.
Family-friendly care honoring your birth choices
We know every family and parent-to-be is unique, and it is important to us that we honor your very personal choices about your birth experience. Please let us know how we can best accommodate your needs and those of your family before, during and after the delivery of your precious little one.
Natural childbirth support
While we also support those who wish to have a medicated birth experience, we offer the following services for moms who prefer a natural childbirth experience:
- A customized birth plan, so you can tell us exactly how you want your day to go
- A relaxing and welcoming environment with aromatherapy and candlelight
- Essential oils and soaking tubs for pre-birth relaxation
- Mobile monitoring so you can walk, stand or try different positions
- Birthing and peanut balls
- Alternative pain relief with nitrous oxide, heat packs and cool lavender or lemon towels
- A partnership with award-winning doulas and a doula resource guide
Childbirth pain management
Sky Ridge Medical Center has around-the-clock anesthesia service to provide quick relief from the discomfort of labor. For mom's choosing a non-medicated birth, each room is also equipped with a squat bar, rocking chair and birthing ball.
Nitrous oxide, a pain-management alternative
Nitrous oxide is a colorless gas with a sweetish odor that occurs naturally in the atmosphere and is a greenhouse gas. In high concentrations, nitrous oxide is a weak anesthetic. According to the Journal of Midwifery & Women’s Health, nitrous oxide is safe for both mother and baby and has no negative impact on the natural progression of labor.
- By not disrupting the release of oxytocin, nitrous oxide does not affect infant alertness during the early bonding period between a mother and her newborn
- It does not affect breastfeeding
- It does not increase the need for neonatal resuscitation
- Women who use nitrous oxide during labor may still have an awareness of labor pain; however, many women find it helps them relax and decreases their perception of labor pain
- It is self-administered, so not only can a woman decide how much to use, but she can also decide if she wants to stop using it and try another method of pain relief instead
- Nitrous oxide can be easily discontinued, and its effects disappear within five minutes
- You may use nitrous first and then move to a different pain relief method, such as an epidural (however, nitrous cannot be used with intravenous narcotics)
For patients who wish to have a vaginal birth after Cesarean (VBAC) delivery, we support you. We will do everything we can to help you achieve your goal with safety being our top priority.
Doulas also help with pregnancy, labor and delivery, but they function more like a coach rather than a healthcare provider.You are more than welcome to bring your own doula with you.
Doulas provide support to both mom and baby throughout the pregnancy journey, including:
- Prenatal visits prior to labor
- Labor support at the home and hospital
- Support during birth
- Assistance with the baby’s first feeding
- A postnatal appointment
During labor, the Doula’s role is one of active support: helping with positioning, getting the birth partner involved, advocating for the patient and providing encouragement for the mom through labor.Visit our Doula Resource Guide
Some parents choose surrogacy as a way to add to their family. Should this be your childbirth plan, we invite you to tour our facility for the perfect opportunity to learn about important issues such as banding and security, rooming in for intended parents and insurance/payment. We are here to provide an extraordinary experience for our patients and their families, no matter what their journey looks like.
Making safety of your newborn a priority
- We have a state-of-the-art infant protection system with 24-hour monitoring.
- Our staff is thoroughly trained on this sophisticated system, which includes electronic devices, My Child system, cameras and other safety measures.
- All Birth Place staff who handle your baby have a special ID badge.
- The second and third floors are secured so all visitors will press a camera phone for entry and all visitors will wear a special ID badge.
- Your baby’s best protector, however, is you. Please don’t hand your baby over to anyone who doesn’t properly identify him or herself and is not wearing the appropriate ID.
Other special amenities and services
Bella Baby Photography
Your professional photo shoot will take place in the comfort of your hospital room. The photographers will photograph your baby and post photos to the custom online slideshow for your viewing. Online viewing and ordering is available for two weeks to anyone with whom you choose to share your password.
Pamper packages for mom and baby
Looking to pamper yourself, or the new parents-to-be? Sky Ridge now has “Pamper Mom” or “Pamper Baby” packages. Visit the Serenity Shoppe at Sky Ridge to order one or both now, and we will make sure it’s delivered while the parents-to-be are here at Sky Ridge!
Pamper Mom - $85-$88
- Sky Ridge Tote Bag
- Designer Birthing Gown (or nursing pjs)
- Lavender Peppermint Lip Balm
- Lavender Goat’s Milk Lotion
- Comfy Feet Combo
Pamper Baby - $50
- Baby Gift Box
- Cuddly Sleepsac
- Sky Ridge Onesie
- Sky Ridge Blanket
- Baby Starter Kit (lotion, butt balm, wipes)
Are you having a Sky Ridge Baby or have you already had one? "Like" Sky Ridge on Facebook to receive news, health tips, event information and to connect with other families.View our Pediatric Resources Guide