Helping patients with heart failure live life to the fullest
The heart failure program at Sky Ridge Medical Center offers expert, individualized care for patients with heart failure. Our caring providers and staff have a common goal: to maximize your quality of life through early interventions, such as medication changes, and ongoing education for you and your family.
Any heart failure patient is a candidate for our program at Sky Ridge. Whether your illness is well-controlled or you are in active heart failure, the program offers many benefits.
Goals of our supervised heart failure program
- To educate both you and your family on the treatment and management of heart failure, lifestyle modifications and medications surrounding heart failure
- To help you manage your heart failure needs by having experts in heart failure available for easy access, such as phone consults or same-day appointments
- To reduce readmissions to the hospital
Our heart failure experts
Our program is staffed by a team dedicated to managing heart failure, including a nurse practitioner, RNs and other medical professionals. A cardiologist is also available during all clinic hours. Plus, you have total access to outpatient testing including labs, chest x-ray and echocardiogram.
Aurora Denver Cardiology Associates locations
- ADCA at Sky Ridge in Lone Tree: 10103 RidgeGate Parkway, Suite 103, Lone Tree, CO 80124
- ADCA in Castle Rock: 4386 Trail Boss Drive, Unit B, Castle Rock, CO 80104
To schedule an appointment at our Lone Tree office, please call (303) 645-0090. For our Castle Rock location, call (303) 534-9565
What is heart failure?
Heart failure, sometimes referred to as congestive heart failure (CHF), means the heart isn’t operating as optimally as it should be. Your body relies on the heart to deliver nutrient- and oxygen-rich blood to the body’s cells. With heart failure, the heart cannot supply the body’s cells with enough blood, causing fatigue and shortness of breath among other symptoms. Everyday activities such as getting in and out the car and carrying groceries can become a struggle.
For an appointment with Aurora Denver Cardiology Associates in Lone Tree, call (303) 645-0090.
Heart failure causes
Heart failure can be caused by other heart- and vascular-related conditions that have damaged or weakened your heart, including:
- Coronary artery disease
- A previous heart attack (myocardial infarction)
- High blood pressure (hypertension or HBP)
- Abnormal heart valves
- Heart defects present at birth (congenital heart disease)
- Severe lung disease
- Sleep apnea
Other less common causes of heart failure include:
- Heart arrhythmia (irregular heartbeat)
- An overactive thyroid gland (hyperthyroidism)
- Low red blood cell count (severe anemia)
Heart failure symptoms
Symptoms of heart failure include:
- Shortness of breath, which can happen even during mild activity
- Difficulty breathing when lying down
- Weight gain and swelling of the legs and ankles from fluid retention
- General fatigue
- Chronic cough
Only your doctor can tell you if you have heart failure. If you think you may be at risk for heart failure, visit your doctor as soon as possible.
Heart failure treatment
We offer a variety of treatment options for heart failure at Sky Ridge. Each treatment plan is individualized based on the patient’s condition but could include:
- Lifestyle changes
- Surgical procedures, such as:
- Coronary bypass surgery
- Heart valve repair or replacement
- Device implants, such as:
- Implantable cardioverter-defibrillators (ICDs)
- Cardiac resynchronization therapy (CRT)
- Participation in clinical trials