Expert cardiology care close to home
Sky Ridge Medical Center provides leading vascular and heart disease treatment and preventive care for our patients. We treat the entire spectrum of vascular disorders and disease, from cosmetic issues, like varicose veins, to limb-threatening concerns, such as peripheral vascular disease.
As a Sky Ridge heart or vascular patient, you will receive comprehensive and convenient care, no matter what cardiovascular condition you are facing.
For an appointment with one of our cardiologists, please call us at (303) 645-0090.
Our cardiac services
Our cardiovascular specialists take a comprehensive approach to heart health, starting with preventive care and expert diagnosis through surgery and rehabilitation, and offer the latest treatment techniques and procedures that contribute to the highest-quality results.
- Heart screening and imaging services
- Supervised heart failure programs
- Vascular surgery
- Cardiac rehabilitation
Cardiovascular conditions we treat
We treat a wide variety of cardiovascular conditions, including:
- Acute coronary syndrome
- Aneurysms and dissections
- Aortic aneurysms/abdominal aortic aneurysms
- Atrial fibrillation (AFib)
- Atrial flutter
- Bundle branch block
- Cardiac arrest (sudden cardiac arrest and sudden cardiac death)
- Carotid artery disease
- Chest pain (angina) and heart attack
- Congestive heart failure
- Congenital heart disease
- Coronary artery disease
- Deep vein thrombosis
- Diastolic dysfunction
- Heart murmur
- Heart valve diseases
- Infective endocarditis
- Mitral valve prolapse
- Hypertension (high blood pressure)
- Long Q-T syndrome
- Marfan syndrome
- Metabolic syndrome
- Patent foramen ovale (PFO)
- Pediatric heart conditions
- Peripheral vascular disease
- Pulmonary embolism (PE)
- Pulmonary hypertension
- Supraventricular tachycardia
Advanced stroke care
When it comes to stroke, every second counts. At Sky Ridge, experts in our ER work as a team with neurologists and cardiologists to provide fast, precise stroke care. We even work with local EMS to help stroke patients receive care faster.
Our ability to quickly diagnose and treat stroke patients has earned us recognition from both the Joint Commission and American Heart Association.
Accredited Chest Pain Center
In a cardiac emergency like heart attack, early recognition, quick response and expert care are vital to ensure the best outcome. As an Accredited Chest Pain Center, Sky Ridge has been acknowledged as having a higher level of expertise in dealing with patients who arrive with symptoms of a heart attack.
Cardiac catheterization lab
Cardiac catheterization is a minimally invasive diagnostic procedure to study how well your heart is working by passing a catheter (a thin, flexible tube) through your blood vessels to reach your heart.
This procedure enables our cardiologists to diagnose any structural heart problems or cardiovascular diseases and then develop the best course of treatment.
In addition to providing information on how your heart is performing and identifying problems, cardiac catheterization is used to perform a variety of cardiac treatments.
Diagnostic and interventional procedures performed using cardiac catheterization include:
- Intravascular ultrasound
- Heart biopsy
- Transesophageal echocardiogram (TEE)
- Implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD)
- Tilt table
- 3D echocardiogram
To learn more about our cath lab or to make an appointment, call (303) 645-0090.
Your vascular system, also called your circulatory system, is made up of blood vessels (arteries carrying oxygen-rich blood and veins carrying blood back to the heart) that act as pathways for blood to flow throughout your body.
Some conditions and diseases, such as hardening of the arteries, can create “traffic jams” in your blood vessels, preventing the blood from traveling to other areas of your body. Without smoothly flowing blood, your body cannot function properly.
Sky Ridge's vascular surgeons are highly trained to treat vascular disorders and diseases that prevent proper blood flow.. They work closely with heart surgeons, neurosurgeons and other specialists for parts of the body impacted by lack of blood flow, such as the heart or brain.
If vascular surgery is required to unblock or repair damaged blood vessels, our surgeons perform minimally invasive procedures whenever possible. Minimally invasive surgeries allow for smaller incisions and generally have fewer complications, resulting in a speedier recovery.
Common vascular diseases and conditions
The vascular care experts at Sky Ridge treat a variety of vascular disorders, including:
- Peripheral artery disease (PAD) results when plaque builds up and narrows the arteries going to the legs, stomach, arms and head.
- Carotid artery disease is a blood clot that occurs in the carotid arteries, resulting in a stroke.
- Venous thromboembolism (VTE) is a blood clot in the vein. It’s related to two life-threatening conditions: deep vein thrombosis (DVT) and pulmonary embolism (PE).
- Aortic aneurysm is a weakened or bulging area in the wall of a blood vessel in the aorta.
- Diabetes is not itself a vascular disease but often leads to vascular damage and disease. High blood glucose causes hardening of the arteries, which can lead to a heart attack, stroke or poor circulation in the feet. Heart disease is the leading cause of diabetes-related death.
Signs and symptoms of vascular disease
Signs and symptoms of vascular diseases can vary; however, many vascular diseases have similar effects on the body and include:
- Chest pain
- Heart attack
- Stroke or mini stroke, called a transient ischemic attack (TIA)
- Leg pain or cramps
- Skin color change
- Sores or ulcers
- Tired, swollen or stinging legs
- Cold or numb fingers or toes
- Pain in your fingers, toes, hands or feet
Vascular disease risk factors
- Being overweight
- Sedentary lifestyle (less than 30 minutes of physical activity a day)
- A poor diet full of sugar, salt and fat
- Genetic predisposition
- High blood pressure and/or cholesterol
- Increasing age