Cancer Resource Center in South Denver
Sky Ridge Medical Center has partnered with the American Cancer Society to provide a cancer resource center for survivors, family members and friends in South Metro Denver.
At the Sky Ridge Cancer Center, our comprehensive care goes beyond diagnosis and treatment. To help throughout the cancer journey, we offer assistance for patients and their families.
Helping cancer patients from diagnosis through recovery
The Sky Ridge Cancer Resource Center is located in the Aspen Building, which is adjacent to the main hospital.
Available services include:
- Access to the latest information about tests, treatments and clinical trials
- Information about local community support resources
- Wigs, scarves and hats to clients who have lost their hair or are in need of head coverings
- Assistance in making appointments for mastectomy bra fittings
- A personal health manager to organize all of the information you receive from your healthcare provider
Our cancer resource center is open from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Please come by for a visit and to let our trained volunteers assist you in learning more and accessing community resources. For more information, please call us at (720) 225-4203.
Breast cancer support group
Join a group of breast cancer survivors, newly diagnosed patients, Sky Ridge team members and community partners that will provide you with support, compassion and information during your journey to recovery. Third Tuesday of each month, 5:00 to 6:30 p.m. in Boardroom on the Garden Level at Sky Ridge.
Complementary oncology massage therapy
Current medical research published by the Touch Research Institute at the University of Miami confirms that massage therapy offers benefits to cancer patients at nearly every stage of treatment and recovery.
Sky Ridge Medical Center has contracted with Medicine Hands of Colorado to offer this complimentary service to current radiation therapy patients at our cancer center. Medicine Hands of Colorado is a leader in delivering compassionate, nurturing and skilled touch for patients going through this experience.
Our patients receive a comprehensive, individualized care plan created in partnership with their healthcare team. This care plan is then integrated with all aspects of the patient's healing journey.
Massage often empowers patients by helping them feel whole again, less traumatized by surgery or other invasive procedures and more in touch with their recuperative resources.
Our certified oncology massage therapists
Medicine Hands of Colorado's certified massage therapists have been specially trained in oncology massage. This comprehensive program in skilled touch therapies assures patients and their families that we understand the range of medical implications.
We invite you to experience the powerful benefits of massage therapy. We offer complimentary sessions for our current radiation therapy patients every Wednesday from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Please call (720) 225-4200 for more information or to schedule an appointment.
Potential benefits* of massage therapy for cancer patients include:
- Decreases symptoms related to chemotherapy and radiation such as fatigue, nausea, diarrhea and loss of appetite
- Increases the effectiveness of other treatments such as pain medication, physical therapy or a medical procedure
- Increases circulation
- Provides pain relief
- Decreases anxiety and depression
- Increases circulation
- Increases range of motion
- Relieves muscle soreness
- Decreases edema
- Increases alertness and mental clarity
- Stimulates faster wound healing
- Sedates or stimulates the nervous system
- Encourages deeper respiration
- Improves bowel activity
- Increases the patient's awareness of stress signals
*From Medicine Hands, by Gayle McDonald, MS, LMT