Breast care in South Denver
At Sky Ridge Medical Center, we have all of your breast-health needs covered, including breast screening exams. Our experienced, compassionate team of specialists is ready to provide expert care, whether you're visiting us for a routine mammogram or a follow-up breast MRI.
Mammography locations and appointments
- Invision/Sally Jobe at Sky Ridge: Evergreen Medical Office Building, 10107 RidgeGate Parkway, Suite 110, Lone Tree, CO 80124
- Invision/Sally Jobe in Castle Rock: 1175 S Perry St, Castle Rock, CO 80104
To schedule an appointment, please call (720) 493-3700.
Breast disease diagnosis and breast cancer screening program
Breast cancer is the second most common cancer and the second leading cause of cancer-related deaths in women, representing approximately 14 percent of all new cancer cases in the U.S. Treatments for breast cancer have significantly advanced, and survival rates have steadily improved since the 1990s. Early detection is key and starts with mammograms and self breast exams.
The goal of all cancer screenings is to help identify cancer in an early stage. In the case of breast cancer screenings, women over 40 years old should have a mammogram and clinical breast exam conducted annually. Women ages 20 to 39 should have a clinical breast exam conducted every three years.
Sky Ridge partners with Invision/Sally Jobe Breast Network to provide diagnostic 3D mammography and other breast imaging tests. By using low dose x-rays to create a 3D image of the breast, the scanner is able to rotate around the breast and capture images from about 10 to 15 angles. 3D mammograms do not require any more radiation than conventional mammograms, and the breast tissue can be analyzed in slices, similar to images from a CT scan.
Mammograms have shown to be the best way to detect breast cancer. Our board-certified radiologists, who specialize in breast-disease diagnosis, use leading-edge technology to not only produce the most accurate images possible, but to conduct a procedure that is fast and painless.
At Sky Ridge, we use leading-edge technology to produce the most accurate images possible. All scans are read by sub-specialty, board-certified radiologists (doctors who specialize in understanding images of the body) who specialize in breast disease diagnosis. We partner with the Invision/Sally Jobe Breast Network to provide diagnostic mammography and other breast imaging tests.
An MRI of the breast is not a replacement for a mammogram or ultrasound, but a supplemental tool for detecting and staging breast cancer and other breast abnormalities.
A MRI of the breast is performed to:
- Assess multiple tumor locations, especially prior to breast conservation surgery
- Identify early breast cancer not detected through other means, especially in women with dense breast tissue and those at high risk for the disease
- Evaluate abnormalities detected by mammography or ultrasound
- Distinguish between scar tissue and recurrent tumors
- Determine whether cancer detected by mammography, ultrasound or after surgical biopsy has spread further in the breast or into the chest wall
- Assess the effect of chemotherapy
- Provide additional information on a diseased breast to make treatment decisions
- Determine the integrity of breast implants
Your doctor will determine if you need a breast MRI, and the team at Sky Ridge will help you get it scheduled.
While there is some conflicting information available concerning breast self-exams, professionals emphasize there is value in conducting a regular breast self-exam to help identify breast cancer in its early stages.
There is no “normal” or “standard” breast among women. Breasts differ in size, shape and density, and often one breast will be slightly different from its pair. Pregnancy, as well as monthly cycles, can also change the size and tenderness of your breasts. If you have any concerns, share them with your healthcare provider.
Additional screening tools
Check out the additional services offered by our partner Invision/Sally Jobe Breast Network.