Where should you have a baby in south Denver?
At Sky Ridge Medical Center's Birth Place - where stars are born!
Take a tour of our Birth Place!
Sky Ridge Medical Center
10101 RidgeGate Pkwy
Lone Tree, CO 80124
Online Patient Portal
Your hospital's Patient Portal enables you to instantly and safely access the personal health information your care team entered into your record.
Sky Ridge Medical Center's Birth Place
At Sky Ridge, nothing quite puts a twinkle in our eyes like the birth of a child. In fact, we've become the provider of choice for South Metro Denver families, because our compassionate, highly experienced nursing team and trusted doctors truly care for our patients.Our Birth Place Offers:
- Award winning care as the recipient of the Women's Choice for America's Best Hospitals in Obstetrics and Colorado Parent’s Family Favorite Birth Place.
- Seasoned staff, high patient satisfaction ratings and top-notch quality and security standards.
- Natural childbirth options, nitrous oxide for pain relief award-winning doulas, birth balls, rocking chairs and squat bars available upon request.
- A low primary C-Section rate of 17% compared to the state average of 25.9%.
- A separate women's hospital entrance so you can go directly to Labor & Delivery.
- Help with breastfeeding by certified lactation consultants and a free breastfeeding success group.
- Private, spacious rooms with flat-screen TV, wireless Internet and room for your partner to spend the night.
- Access to a well-care nursery as well as high-acuity, Level III NICU that can care for infants as young as 24 weeks
- Access to our 24/7 Pediatric ER with “ouchless” techniques
- Access to pregnancy and childbirth classes — everything from preparation for a baby, to boot camp for new dads and siblings
- A Bella Baby photography session with your newborn and partner.
- The Serenity Shoppe on the campus or online
Labor and Delivery in Lone Tree, CO: The Beginning of Your Childbirth Experience
Located on the second floor of Sky Ridge Medical Center, the Labor and Delivery Unit is warm, welcoming and beautifully designed to meet your needs. We often hear patients say that they forgot they were in a hospital because the surroundings are more like a hotel than a hospital. Sky Ridge was designed to be comfortable, while promoting health and healing.
In addition to our inviting delivery suites, we offer skilled medical professionals who will help you through your labor and childbirth journey. Our team will coach you and provide you with the knowledge and support you need to make childbirth a safe experience that you will treasure for a lifetime.
What to bring to the hospital with you
You will be asked to provide a photo ID before accessing the Birth Place. If you have already received your "Get Ready for Baby" booklet from your doctor's office or Sky Ridge, please bring along on your tour. There is a place in the back of the booklet to take notes.
Childbirth pain management
Sky Ridge Medical Center has around the clock anesthesia service to provide quick relief from the discomfort of labor. For mom's choosing a non-medicated birth, each room is also equipped with a squat bar, rocking chair and birthing ball.
For patients who wish to have a vaginal birth after Cesarean (VBAC) delivery, we support you. We will do everything we can to help you achieve your goal with safety being our top priority.
We make it a priority to care for the entire family. For women giving birth at our hospital, the family is allowed to be in attendance during all of the childbirth process. A beautifully decorated waiting area with a TV, restroom, play area and vending machine is located nearby for additional visitors.
Once labor begins, mothers stay in the same room for the birth of their baby and through the first hours of the recovery stage. Moms delivering by Cesarean section will be cared for in our state-of-the-art surgical suites for childbirth, also located in our Women's Center. Following childbirth, mom and her baby are moved to a private Mother & Baby room where they continue bonding until their hospital stay ends.
Mom/Baby Unit at Sky Ridge Medical Center
The Mom/Baby Unit includes experienced postpartum nursing staff and allied medical professionals who will provide the support you need to recover from childbirth, bond with your baby, begin breastfeeding (if desired), learn the basics of newborn care and transition home.
Caring for yourself and your newborn
Skin-to-skin contact for mothers and their newborns
Your baby has arrived! What a joyous moment for you both. Your body provided a wonderful, safe haven for your baby for nine months and your baby wants to continue this connection. The best way to provide security and comfort to your baby is through "skin to skin" contact.
What is "Skin to Skin?"
This means that your baby will be placed bare-skinned directly on your chest after birth. The first hours of snuggling skin to skin allow you and your baby to get to know each other. This also gives you and your baby the best start for breastfeeding. Numerous studies have shown that skin-to-skin babies breastfeed better. They also keep nursing an average of six weeks longer. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that all breastfeeding babies spend time skin to skin right after birth.
What are the benefits to my baby?
In addition to better breastfeeding, the World Health Organization reports that skin-to-skin contact between a mother and her newborn baby immediately after delivery reduces crying, improves mother to infant interaction and keeps baby warmer.
When a naked baby (not swaddled in a blanket) is allowed to nestle against mom's bare chest, the baby's temperature, heart rate and breathing rate are more stable and more normalized. These babies also have lower levels of stress hormones, so they are happier. In addition, skin-to-skin contact immediately after birth exposes the newborn baby to the normal bacteria on mom's skin, which may prevent the baby from getting sick.
Skin-to-skin cuddling may also affect how you relate to your baby. Researchers have watched mothers and infants in the first few days after birth and they noticed skin-to-skin moms touch and cuddle their babies more. Being skin to skin also helps lower your stress and makes you feel more confident as a new parent. These benefits last long after the birth.
Special Amenities Just for You
- "At your request" meal service featuring chef-prepared meals delivered to your room
- Complimentary afternoon tea service and "baby" bundt cake
- 24-hour free access to the Newborn Channel with programming on all aspects of newborn and infant care
- Bella Baby photography sessions with Web access
- Help with breastfeeding by certified lactation consultants
- Free Internet access