Cancer Care Specialists in Lone Tree, CO
Did you know that, on average, a patient sees up to eight cancer experts during the cancer journey from diagnosis through survivorship? In order to help you stay connected with your multidisciplinary care team, Sarah Cannon provides nurse navigators specialized in your type of cancer to guide you from discovery to recovery. Who are these cancer experts and how do they help you?
Oncologists are physicians who specialize in treating people with cancer. Some specialize in a certain type of cancer. The three main types of oncologists are as follows:
- Find a Medical Oncologist — Specializes in diagnosing and treating cancer patients with chemotherapy, immunotherapy and targeted therapy. Medical oncologists are often the main healthcare provider for a cancer patient.
- Find a Radiation Oncologist — Treats cancer using high-energy radiation to kill cancer cells or shrink tumors. Learn more about Radiation Oncology at Sky Ridge.
- Surgical Oncologist — Performs surgical procedures on cancer patients, including the removal of solid tumors. Surgical oncologists also perform biopsies to obtain tissue for diagnosis.
Other care team members include:
- Find a Radiologist — Diagnoses cancer by interpreting imaging of areas inside the body.
- Interventional Radiologist — Performs minimally invasive, image-guided procedures to diagnose and treat cancers without the use of surgery.
- Pathologist — Studies cells and tissues under a microscope and relays information about the cells to physicians to determine best treatment options.
- Reconstructive Physician (Plastic Surgeon) — Surgically reshapes disfigurement that may occur as a result of cancer treatment.