Beneficial Healing Massage during All Stages of Oncology Treatment
Current medical research published by the Touch Research Institute at the University of Miami confirms that massage therapy offers benefits to cancer patients at nearly every stage of treatment and recovery.
Sky Ridge Medical Center has contracted with Medicine Hands of Colorado to offer this complimentary service to current radiation therapy patients at our Cancer Center. Medicine Hands of Colorado is a leader in delivering compassionate, nurturing and skilled touch for patients going through this experience.
Our patients receive a comprehensive, individualized care plan created in partnership with their healthcare team. This care plan is then integrated with all aspects of the patient's healing journey.
A comforting, nurturing touch, in itself, is potential medicine.
Massage often empowers patients by helping them feel whole again, less traumatized by surgery or other invasive procedures and more in touch with their recuperative resources.
Our Certified Oncology Massage Therapists
Medicine Hands of Colorado's certified massage therapists have been specially trained in oncology massage. This comprehensive program in skilled touch therapies assures patients and their families that we understand the range of medical implications.
Benefits of Massage
We invite you to experience the powerful benefits of massage therapy. We offer complimentary sessions for our current radiation therapy patients every Wednesday from 8:00am to 3:00pm. Please call (720) 225-4200 for more information or to schedule an appointment.
Potential benefits* of massage therapy for cancer patients
- Decreases symptoms related to chemotherapy and radiation such as fatigue, nausea, diarrhea and loss of appetite
- Increases the effectiveness of other treatments such as pain medication, physical therapy or a medical procedure
- Increases circulation
- Provides pain relief
- Decreases anxiety and depression
- Increases circulation
- Increases range of motion
- Relieves muscle soreness
- Decreases edema
- Increases alertness and mental clarity
- Stimulates faster wound healing
- Sedates or stimulates the nervous system
- Encourages deeper respiration
- Improves bowel activity
- Increases the patient's awareness of stress signals
*From Medicine Hands, by Gayle McDonald, MS, LMT
Please call (720) 225-4200 for more information or to schedule an appointment.