Screening helps to find and treat health problems early. Tests are given to people who don't have symptoms, but who may be at risk for certain health problems.
There is no screening test for stroke, but your risk should be checked at your yearly physical. This can be done with:
- Blood pressure tests
- Blood tests to measure cholesterol and glucose levels
- Tests of your body mass index (BMI) and waist size
- Questions about your lifestyle habits, such as eating, smoking, activity, and alcohol use
If you are at high risk, your doctor may want to do tests more often.
- Reviewer: EBSCO Medical Review BoardRimas Lukas, MD
- Review Date: 12/2018 -
- Update Date: 01/17/2019 -