A person with scoliosis is checked often to check whether the curve is getting worse. Bracing or surgery may be needed. Treatment is done in people with curves greater than 20° to 25°. Surgery is done in people with curves greater than 40° to 50°.
The goals of treatment are:
- Stopping the curve from getting worse
- Lessening the curve with surgery
- Limiting future health problems, such as lung disease due to restriction of a deformed chest cavity
Treatment involves:SurgeryOther treatments for scoliosis
Medicine cannot treat scoliosis.
- Reviewer: EBSCO Medical Review Board Daniel A. Ostrovsky, MD
- Review Date: 06/2019 -
- Update Date: 07/24/2019 -