The treatment and management of periodontal disease includes regular dental care, lifestyle changes, medications, and deep cleaning. For some surgery may be needed to remove damage tissue and teeth.
The goals of treatment of periodontal disease include:
- Control the underlying infection
- Halt destruction of the gums, tissues, and bones that support your teeth
- Avoid potential tooth loss
Your dentist may need to refer you to a specialist in the treatment of gum disease, called a periodontist.
Treatment involves the following:Lifestyle changesMedicationsSurgeryOther treatments
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD, FAAP
- Review Date: 09/2017 -
- Update Date: 11/02/2017 -