You have a unique medical history. Therefore, it is essential to talk with your doctor about your personal risk factors and/or experience with low back pain and sciatica. By talking openly and regularly with your doctor, you can take an active role in your care.
Here are some tips that will make it easier for you to talk to your doctor:
- Bring someone else with you. It helps to have another person hear what is said and think of questions to ask.
- Write your questions down ahead of time, so you don't forget them. Remember that every question you have may not be able to be answered with the first visit.
- Write down the answers you get. Make sure you understand what you are hearing. Ask follow-up questions, if necessary.
- Don't be afraid to ask your questions or ask where you can find more information. You have a right to know.
- What is causing my back pain?
- Exactly what is sciatica? Could my pain be from sciatica?
- Based on my medical history, lifestyle, and family background, am I at further risk for low back pain and sciatica?
- How can I prevent low back pain and sciatica?
- How do I best treat low back pain and sciatica?
- Will I need to have surgery?
What medications are available to help me?
- What are the benefits/side effects of these medications?
- Will these medications interact with other medications, over-the-counter products, or dietary or herbal supplements I am already taking for other conditions?
- Are there any alternative or complementary therapies that will help me?
Should I engage in exercise?
- What kind of exercise is best?
- How often should I exercise?
- How do I get started with an exercise program?
- How can I find help to quit smoking?
- Do I need to lose weight? If so, how much?
- Do I need to stop participating in sports or other activities?
- How do I know that my prevention or treatment program is effective?
- Will I always be bothered by low back pain and sciatica?
- Will the back pain worsen as I grow older?
- Will I need to find a different job?
- Reviewer: EBSCO Medical Review Board Michael Woods MD FAAP
- Review Date: 11/2018 -
- Update Date: 12/20/2014 -