Your doctor will ask about your symptoms and health past. A physical exam will be done. Your doctor may think you have hepatitis based on your symptoms. Testing can confirm hepatitis, and find the type and extent of damage. Tests may include:
- Blood tests to check:
- For certain blood proteins that are markers for hepatitis.
- How the liver is working.
- If the hepatitis is acute or chronic.
- How much of the virus is in the liver (viral load).
- Liver biopsy—A sample of liver tissue is taken and looked at in a lab.
- Reviewer: David L. Horn, MD, FACP
- Review Date: 02/2019 -
- Update Date: 04/18/2019 -