Celiac disease cannot be cured. The only effective treatment to control symptoms is to follow a gluten-free diet. The diet will let the intestines heal, work properly, and stop long term damage. Some damage that is already done may be permanent.
Other treatments depend on individual problems. Examples include:
- Vitamins and minerals to treat nutritional problems
- Medicine to
- Reduce intestinal inflammation
- Treat dermatitis herpetiformis
Celiac disease treatment includes:Lifestyle changesMedicationsOther treatments
There are no surgical treatments for celiac disease at this time.
- Reviewer: EBSCO Medical Review Board Daus Mahnke, MD
- Review Date: 12/2018 -
- Update Date: 02/12/2018 -