A risk factor makes the chances of getting a disease or condition higher. You can have metabolic syndrome with or without them. But, the more you have, the higher the risk.
Some can’t be changed such as your age. Metabolic syndrome is more common in people aged 60 years and older.
Your chances of metabolic syndrome are higher for:
- Ethnic background such as in Mexican American women
- Obesity —this is mainly true if the weight is around your belly
- Getting little or no exercise
- Making poor food choices such as eating more sugar, fats, and calories
- Excess alcohol intake
- Certain medicines such as those to treat mental health problems
- Reviewer: EBSCO Medical Review Board Marcin Chwistek, MD
- Review Date: 05/2018 -
- Update Date: 08/27/2018 -