The doctor will ask about your symptoms and health history. A physical exam will be done. Metabolic syndrome is defined as 3 of the 5 listed below:
- Fasting triglycerides–A certain kind of fat found in your blood. Higher than normal is 150 mg/dL (1.6 mmol/L) or higher.
- Fasting blood glucose—This means 100 mg/dL (5.6 mmol/L) or higher.
- Blood pressure—Higher than normal is defined as a reading 130/85 mm Hg or more.
• Extra fat around the waist or belly. It’s defined as:
- Waist size 40 inches (102 cm) or more in men (may differ based on your ethnic background or size)
- Waist size 35 inches (89 cm) or more in women (may differ based on your ethnic background or size)
Fasting HDL cholesterol—HDL is the good cholesterol. This breaks down and removes bad cholesterol from the body. It's defined as:
- Less than 40 mg/dL (1.0 mmol/L) in men
- Levels less than 50 mg/dL (1.3 mmol/L) in women
Tests Done In a Doctor's Office
- Measure the waist around the hips and belly button
- Take your blood pressure
A fasting test means you should stop eating after dinner the night before. In the morning, blood will be taken for:
- Glucose levels
- Total cholesterol
- LDL cholesterol—bad cholesterol
- HDL cholesterol—good cholesterol
- Reviewer: EBSCO Medical Review Board Marcin Chwistek, MD
- Review Date: 05/2018 -
- Update Date: 08/27/2018 -