Meet the Sky Ridge Stroke Coordinator: Alissa Dell, NP
I have been an Nurse Practitioner (NP) for five years and recently transferred from Swedish Medical Center after being there for 12 years. I am originally from Idaho and grew up with five sisters (no brothers). I have been in health care since I was 16, originally working in housekeeping, as a unit secretary and CNA while I went to nursing school. I have always had a fascination with medicine and remember vividly watching M*A*S*H and St. Elsewhere on TV as a kid knowing that’s what I wanted to do.
What Prompted You to Become Interested in Stroke Care?
I have always been interested in cardiovascular care and neurology. I find the brain fascinating and love to teach, so working in this field is very rewarding. I feel like I can make a big difference in people’s lives by helping them understand what they can change to be more healthy.
What Makes Sky Ridge Stroke Program Unique?
- We have seen a 24% increase in our stroke volume since we became a Primary Stroke Center in 2012.
- In April 2013, we had a new record for door-to-treatment time for stroke, which was 33 minutes.
- Our treatment rate for acute intervention is 18%. National average is 5%.
- We are a part of the HealthONE/HCA Continental Division‘s network of 32 telemedicine cameras located throughout Colorado that are used for stroke evaluation. 75% of our stroke consults are performed via telemedicine, which allows us to immediately evaluate a patient suspected of having an acute stroke.
- Our telemedicine camera’s name is ISABELLE , which stands for: Instantaneous Stroke Assessment by Effectual Live Licensed Expert.
First Responder Partnership
I work very closely with our first responders in the area. We send follow-up for every stroke alert patient brought to Sky Ridge, and travel to their offices to do stroke specific education every year. Patients arriving by ambulance were SEVEN times more likely to receive t-PA
When you aren’t caring for our stroke patients, what do you like to do in your spare time?
I am the mother of two young kids ages 4 and 2, and love to watch them as they grow. In my spare time, I love to mountain bike, ski and spend all my time outdoors. I also enjoy being creative through sewing and decorating.